About Us


In 1926, a group of members belonging to a social club called “The Amity Club” (located on Eutaw Place in Baltimore City) decided it was time for them to select and purchase a site in the countryside for a new club, which would eventually provide the membership’s base for social and athletic activities. After looking at many sites and much deliberation with the forty-nine (49) original “founding fathers,” a site was selected. The home and farm of Dr. Theodore Cook was purchased, and Woodholme was set-up on about two hundred acres behind what is now a flourishing commercial district on Reisterstown Road in Baltimore County. In early 1927, they had inducted fifty new members and, at the same time, a temporary 9-hole golf course was completed. On June 27, 1927, the new club was dedicated and its name was changed to the Woodholme Country Club. Woodholme began to grow in terms of membership and facility. In the spring of 1930, the new 18-hole golf course was completed. With the economy in a downturn, growth slowed until April of 1948 when the old Cook mansion was razed and the present Clubhouse was constructed. At the same time, a new Pro Shop was being created. On October 1, 1949, the new Clubhouse was completed.
 
During the spring of 1963, the Snack Shop, the Clubhouse wading pool and the first har-tru tennis courts were constructed and completed. In 1973, an addition was constructed adjacent to and connecting with the main building. Although the original clubhouse was a large southern structure, the pre-renovation clubhouse was a monument to a dozen various building projects and additions undertaken over the years.
 
Today, Woodholme is proud of many things. The totally re-designed and renovated Clubhouse was completed April 1, 1993, and boasts classical elegance and modern conveniences. The championship golf course is rated among the finest in the State and has hosted a multitude of local and regional tournaments. The 15 Tennis Courts, Olympic-sized Swimming Pool, Tennis and Golf Pro Shops are all located near the main Clubhouse. Woodholme is also proud of its charitable giving. Besides the mandatory giving requirements, there are many members heavily involved in local and national charities. Woodholme is a thriving club committed to its members, staff and the greater community.